ATV Trailer: The Ultimate Guide
Owning the correct trailer to haul your ATV can prove just as important as the vehicle itself. If you’re a quad enthusiast looking to travel, you’ll need to do some calculations and planning to help handle the haul. Silver Moon Trailers has the trailer expertise to help simplify the process. Here are some key facts you need to know to help with loading your ATV.
How Heavy is an ATV?
With any substantial haul, you’ll want to know how much the cargo weighs. Not only do you need a trailer large enough for your quads to fit in, but one that can safely carry the payload.
ATV size and weight can significantly vary depending on the engine size. These vehicles have varying CC sizes to accommodate desired levels of horsepower, which are tailored to riders of different skill levels. The average quad weighs roughly 600 lbs or 272 kg. If you’re hauling youth-sized vehicles, you’re probably looking at the 50cc – 90cc range, which weighs approximately 200 – 250 lbs. Mid-range engine sizes can range anywhere from 350 lbs – 500 lbs.
Adult-sized ATVs generally start around the 400cc range, which averages at around 500 lbs. Larger engine sizes have the ability to weigh up to 900 lbs or more.
How Wide Are Most ATVs?
Not only does the trailer need to be sturdy enough to withstand the weight, but it will need to be wide enough to fit your ATVs. The average quad is roughly 47.4,” with a range between 45” – 50.” Be sure to measure out the length and width of your vehicles parked side by side or nose-to-nose to help choose the correctly sized trailer.
What Size Trailer Do I Need for 2 ATVs? What Size Trailer Do I Need for 4 ATVs?
To help put all of this information into a concise picture, let’s consider what trailer we would need for different payloads. For 2 ATVs, you’ll likely want a 6 x 10 trailer when loading them alongside each other. If you choose to haul them nose to nose, you should opt for a 6 x 12 trailer to have more room.
If you try to haul four quads, you’re looking for a length of at least 16” if you squeeze them together, but 18” will give you just enough wiggle room. Four vehicles are a considerable amount of weight to bear, so be sure that your trailer has double axes to brace itself as well as brakes.
How Do You Secure an ATV on a Trailer?
Once you’ve selected the correct trailer for your payload, follow these steps carefully to secure the ATV onto it safely:
- Make sure you begin the loading process on a level area and balance the trailer
- Secure the loading ramp with straps by placing one end around the grid at the top of the ramp. Place the other end around the trailer. The trailer should provide numerous openings to allow for wrapping and tying off straps. Make sure that the ramp does not shake when moved to avoid flipping the ATV.
- Start the ATV and place it into a low gear. It will ensure that the vehicle moves slowly and smoothly up the ramp. It also helps to lean forward to help it avoid getting stuck.
- Park the vehicle slightly behind the axle when loading only 1 ATV; Otherwise, park all quads accordingly in a way that allows the trailer to balance when pulled. Use the parking brakes.
- Strap the ATV down via the front frame and loop the other end through the trailer. Avoid using the axle as it can break during transit. Tie it just tightly enough so that the wheels appear to bear weight.
- Don’t leave any excess strap dangling or flapping. Tie it off securely beneath the trailer.
- Remove the ramp, then secure and lock the gate if you have one.
- Check to make sure the straps haven’t loosened roughly every 15 miles of your journey.
Want an ATV Trailer in Arkansas? Silver Moon Trailers Has You Covered.
For years, we’ve helped drivers like you find the trailers they need. ATV trailers are just one of the many trailer types we offer to our valued clients. Our website offers incredibly easy to use tools that allow you to select the length, width, and payload capacity that you require for your hauls. We also provide a variety of financing solutions that are quick and easy to obtain. If you have an idea for a custom trailer, we can help you with that too.
If you need help selecting the right trailer solution, Silver Moon Trailers are the people to call on. Contact us today and connect with us via Facebook and Twitter for all of your trailer needs.